One of my favorite Christmas movies is "A Christmas Story". I watch it at least once every year and it still makes me laugh everytime. (Dont you just love movies that are like that!) I was brainstorming for cute costume ideas and the thought of the lamp crossed my mind. The more I thought about it, the more I figured out how I could construct a costume for the lamp. I almost didn't do this costume because I was short on time. I did a search and there is a commercial Leg Lamp costume available, but I just didn't like the way it looked. I finally decided to give the costume a couple of hours work and see if I could get it done in that time frame.
I started with some cheapo wire hangers. You know the type you get your stuff back from the dry cleaners on. I unwrapped the top section so I had one long wire. I pulled on it some and used some pliers to help me straighten them out (not perfectly straight, but that's ok). I then figured out about how long I wanted the lampshade to be from top to bottom and cut 4 lengths of wire to just a bit longer than that measurement. I used 2 more stretched out hangers (connected them together by simple wire wraps) to form 2 rings. A smaller one for the top part of the shade. I did a rough shape bend on the 4 straight lengths of wire so that the shade would have the proper shape when put together. The next part was the trickiest as I was home alone and only have two hands. A friend willing to do some holding would have made this step much easier! I used some simple wire wraps to attach the 4 straight lengths of wire to the 2 rings. I did these as tight as possible, but the whole frame was very wonky (unstable if you're not familiar with my high tech terms). I then wrapped stained glass foil tape around all the unions of wire and soldered the crap out of them to make a little stronger union. No, you cant solder the hangers themself, but the tape/solder creation I did (which anyone schooled in soldering would cringe at) held it long enough for the next step.
I grabbed a roll of electrical tape and wrapped the crap (another highly technical term) out of the top and bottom rings, and especially all the unions. This made the frame pretty stable and I was happy with it.
After the fabric laid down the way I wanted it to I pulled out the fringe trim I had also purchased at Hobby Lobby. (Again, I had bought 2 yards, and actually had to go back and by 6 more inches to finish this, so if you're going to do this project, start with 2 1/2 yards of each and save some frustrations. I glued the fringe onto the bottom (Larger ring area)
Thanks for stopping by!