Monday, February 16, 2009

Sister Art Doll


I made this doll way back when Stampington & Co. first put out the challenge for "sister art." I decided to made a wonderful sister doll and I wanted her to open up so she could store all the secrets that sisters develope over their lifetimes. I started with a plain old wooden box from the craft store. I painted it a very messy blue/purple smear that appealled to me. I then went about collecting quotes on sisterhood from around the web. I formed legs and arms from polymer clay and used store bought molds to form her hands and feet. I shot wire through all her appendages so that she is loose and moveable. I painted the polymer segments and cut up quotes and glued them all over. Her torso, which includes boobs I sculpted out of a gluey paper mess, highlights the quote:
She is your mirror.
She is your mirror,
shining back at you with a world of possibilities.
She is your witness,
who sees you at your worst and best,
and loves you anyway.
She is your partner in crime,
your midnight companion,
someone who knows when you are smiling,
even in the dark.
She is your teacher,
your defense attorney,
your personal press agent,
even your shrink.
Some days,
she's the reason you wish you were an only child.
~Barbara Alpert

She opens up to show a mirror, words that brought my sister to minds, a paper heart that is multi-layered-just as my sisters heart, a locking drawer-because even sisters need to have some privacy, bottles holding precious shared memories and secrets.

Her head is made from a Mrs. Buttersworth syrup bottle. She had to be sacrificed and now I'm still using syrup stored in a tupperware. Her brain has the deepest sister secrets all balled up together with enough glue involved that those secrets will never escape.

She is embellished with many more quotes and topped off with some raffia type curls. I opted to not submit this for the magazine I originally crafted it for. Instead, I gave this to my sis for her birthday yesterday. I think she really likes it.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you're doing well.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome!! I love this, especially for a craft project.
    peace, Kai

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a WONDERFUL sister birthday gift. I love it! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...